Tuesday, 19 February 2013

spinning around
 

 
 
Amongst other things I am a dance teacher. I spend many hours each month working on new routines for my ZUMBA© fitness classes to keep them fresh and fun. While working on a new routine this week, I decided to end the song with some jovial spinning round in a circle. While I practised this I found myself laughing and feeling very light hearted and happy and after I felt kind of like I had let off some steam and really connected with the music and my inner child and I could not help but smile. I did not think too much of this as I was abruptly taken back into the real world just moments later by my husband requesting a cup of tea, children wanting to go for a walk and all the things that a wife and mother has to contend with on a day to day basis.

Later on I taught my class as usual and finished the set with the spinning song. As I spin happily round and round I notice half my class joining in and the other half looks on amused or unsure. After we were getting our things together I observed those that had span, they were all smiling and chatting away and seemed to be radiating with some kind of energy. Those who hadn’t span were their usual happy selves after class [I am very blessed to have a ZUMBA© class filled with amazing ladies] but they were not displaying this. There was a marked difference.
For some reason this got me thinking, so I decided to investigate further.
The results were most intriguing.

If you have even been in a park or school playground you will have noticed children spinning round in circles light heartily while laughing and falling onto the grass after dizzily. It is something we all did once without thinking. As we grow we tend not to spend our time partaking in such activities. Besides any other reason, life and its general responsibilities and daily pressures very often would not leave us feeling like we want to spin around care free and fall on the floor after giggling. But if we did would we feel any better for it? Well actually, yes we just might.


You may have heard of the Sufi Muslims known as whirling Dervishes and if you have ever seen them you will notice how thin they are, not just that, they also seem to have abundant amounts of energy and radiate with youth. The dervishes claim that by spinning in circles up to hundreds of times at once that they create an ecstatic state of mind and energy field within themselves. Could this be why that practice spinning session at home had left me feeling so light hearted and happy for those few moments?

I am not the first person to pick up on these effects by far and I researched with interest of people who spin every morning on waking and every evening before bed to create this energy and the feeling I experienced in those brief moments. I even discovered a class in America where people go thrice weekly just to spin together. Not only did they feel happier in general exclaiming they had tripled their energy they reported dramatic weight loss and change in body shape as side effects of this amusing practice.


I wondered with so many positive results being claimed by practitioners could there actually be some medical evidence to back up a reason behind them? Strangely enough the answer again was yes. Now here comes the scientific part. We have seven glands in our bodies that make up our endocrine system these include the pineal thymus, pituitary, adrenal, thyroid, lyden and gonads. The endocrine system controls our metabolism and the production of hormones within our body, how these are controlled has a direct result on our weight, mood, sex drive and much more.  There are cells within the glands. When our bodies main energy centers known as chakras rotate at a good speed this has an immediate effect on our endocrine system we feel good, healthy and happier when they slow down our health, mood and metabolism suffer as a direct result. Spinning around in a clockwise direction actually helps the chakras to rotate resulting in signals that send messages to the cells to work efficiently.
This also causes the glands within the endocrine system to work harmoniously.



The chakras also make a connection to our spinal cord, the nervous system, and the endocrine system within our subtle body, our vibrational energy known as the bio electromagnetic field sometimes referred to as our aura.  There are two main electrical systems in our physical bodies.  The first being the alternating electrical current of the nervous system and brain, which governs our muscles, hormones, and physical sensations.  
The second is the continuous, electromagnetic radiation emitted from our atoms which allows for an energy exchange between individuals and their environment.  Each person’s energy field is unique and makes up the person’s physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual state.  The act of spinning results in a charge of this energy field.


While reading about the seemingly crazy American spinning classes and whirling Dervishes I noted that all claimed to look younger after spinning, could the effects on the endocrine system be the explanation for this? I know that I FELT younger. A balanced endocrine system regulating hormones could certainly result in slowing down if not go some way towards reversing signs of aging. So there you have it, you could feel younger, look younger, have more energy and loose weight, simply by spinning round in circles.


As a I teacher I have learnt that we can only plant the seeds and people will only take on as much as they are ready to at that time. So hey don’t take my word for it, try it yourself. What have you got to loose. Apparently spinning in a clockwise direction with arms out at the sides to mirror airplane wings has the greatest results AND A WORD OF WARNING DON’T TRY TOO MANY SPINS THE FIRST TIME, START WITH A FEW, SAY FIVE AND BUILD UP TO TWENTY..AND MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO VALUABLE ANTIQUE LAMPS IN THE PATH ....

1 comment:

  1. Loving you blog beautiful! I am going to try the spinning! sounds fun... :)xxx

    ReplyDelete